Sunday morning church was great and you know what added to it? Gabi graciously giving me fresh veggies, grown from the garden at her house. As owner of Peace Love and no Nuts (found at NY farmers market) she bakes delicious gluten free, dairy free cookies and cradles some of the best, healthy recipes I know. Plus, she gave me the greatest rhubarb jam that I spread on my toast every morning, hopelessly wishing that it would never run out.
What happens on a Monday off when you have these fresh ingredients? A late afternoon spent with the windows open, listening to Of Monsters and Men, preparing dinner. Ugh, I love food :)
1 Small Onion
1 Cup of Vinegar
1/2 Cup of Water
3/4 Cup of White Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Freshly Chopped Dill
Salt & Pepper
1. First take your vinegar, water and sugar and add them together into a pot. Bring it to a boil and set it aside to cool down.
2. Skin and slice them cucumbers, chop your onions and dill. Add them to a bowl.
3. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
4. Pour cooled vinegar mixture into your bowl of cucumbers.
5. Give it a few stirs and let it marinate and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
I also diced up (way smaller than the cucumbers) one zucchini and added it to the mixture. It took well to the flavors.
Simple Mozzarella & Tomato Dish
Tomatoes (as many as you want)
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
1. Wash and slice tomatoes to put on a platter.
2. Take a basil leaf and place on top of tomatoes.
3. Slice your mozzarella to liking to layer on top of the basil leaves.
4. Sprinkle salt and pepper. I eye-balled it.
5. Drizzle balsamic vinegar and then olive oil.
Really simple. Really easy. You don’t need balsamic but I love it thus why I added the extra flavor.
I also made killer guacamole and… brownies out of a box. HA! No pictures because well, they didn’t involve Gabi’s garden picks so let’s stick to the subject. All of these delicious, healthy vegetable sides were followed up by… MARINATED MEAT! Because I am a carnivore! After work Matthew came by, fired up the grill and behold, steak with three fabulous sides and artificial brownies to follow up.